Friday 7 September 2012

The last hurrah and Santorini

Hello readers,

Well I'm into my last month abroad and hasn't it started with brilliantly. The week started with my last game for Bovey, a sad but thoroughly enjoyable time. We travelled out to tiverton heathcote, probably up there as the most picturesque grounds I've ever played at. After a pre match pump up from Chris Bradley we looked to go out there and rectify what had been a pretty terrible last month of cricket. Thanks to some great bowling from Charlie Hill, Matt Kidd and the spearhead Charlie Carter we were set a very reasonable total of 114 to win. With some magic from Sam Wyatt-Haines we got over the line 8 wickets down to finish 3rd in the league, higher than the club has ever done before.
I think it's fair to say that the boys were keen to celebrate what has been a tough but rewarding season with the 2nds and 3rds who both won their leagues. It was great to be able to share a few drinks with the boys back at the club and say thankyou for everything that they have done for me over the last 5 months. It certainly was sad to say goodbye but this farewell was the start of a new journey.
After finally packing up my room and saying my final goodbye's to the Simmons's I was on a train to Gatwick Airport to start the rest of my travel with Aaron.
Before I move on I would like to say another quick thankyou to the Simmons's. Despite already having 3 children they welcomed me into their family with open arms and made me feel completely at home. I have no doubt that their warm nature kept homesickness at bay and certainly made the 5 month period a lot easier on an 18 year old away from home for the first time. They always knew how to keep me grounded and it was never long until I heard all the jokes after a tough day in the field and for this I am incredibly grateful. All the best to Jack and Will as they enter into their final years at school and to Rach as she looks to finish her teaching degree. Can't wait to see you all in Adelaide soon.
Anyway, after a 3 and a half hour flight we landed in Santorini in the greek islands.

Now for those who don't know much about Santorini, I was exactly the same until a week ago, it is basically a volcano which the greeks have chosen to inhabit and has turned into a tourist hot spot for those looking for some incredible, movie like, scenery and some sun. Sounds perfect after the worst English Summer in 100 years. And it did not disappoint. It was absolutely stunning. Our accommodation overlooked the Caldera, the centre of the volcano which is now covered by water, with Oia to our right and Fira to our left. In the distance you could see Islands everywhere and cruiseships, yachts and the odd stray dinghy venturing out to explore further amazing sights. Check out Atlantidas Villas, Oia, if you want to see the amazing hotel. After a day relaxing by the pool and a leisurely walk through Oia to take some amazing photos and look through the multitude of little speciality shops the rest of the party showed up. The reason for our travel was to celebrate Ros Howland's 50th Birthday. As a consequence, 13 of us from around the world ventured to Santorini.


The next day, Aaron and I decided to seize a free opportunity and explore more of the southern parts of the Island which we hadn't yet travelled through. We travelled through the tourist filled Fira before stumbling on the beautiful town of Perivolas which is famous for its Black Sand beach. We decided to down anchor here for the afternoon, hire an umbrella and chairs and have lunch overlooking the sea.
As amazing as this was, it was nothing compared to what the Howland's had planned for the next day. Kept as a surprise, we were taken out onto a sailing boat which ventured around the south tip of the island, with stops at the White and Red beaches for a swim, to the Volcanic Springs in the centre of the Caldera and back, watching the sun set on what had been the perfect day.

After three flights and 3 countires, Aaron and I are currently sitting in our hostel about to board the Fanatics sailboat which will take us through the Croatian Islands for the next 9 days. From what we saw on the way in, this will no doubt be an amazing week and I am extremely excited to get to meet some new people and take in some more sun.
So keep an eye out for my next blog!
Until then, watch this space,
Dillon

No comments:

Post a Comment