Monday 23 April 2012

Bovey Tracey

It's been just over 2 weeks since I blogged last and in that time I've settled into the life that will be taking up the next 4 and a half months of my trip.
The family that I am staying with is brilliant. The first week that I spent in Bovey the whole family was home, a 21 year old daughter and two boys 17 and 15. It's almost as if I have slipped out of my family and into theirs. They are incredibly active taking part in tennis, hiking, mountain biking, cricket and hockey just to name a few. This is fantastic as it gives me a chance to get off the couch and outside. Since then they have dispersed back to school, uni and work leaving me time at home by myself.
Unfortunately the weather has been a little bit temperamental and as a consequence it's been difficult to get any routine established as cricket has been interrupted and I've been stuck up inside for a majority of the days.
I have had 3 games since arriving here. One was rained out after 20 overs without getting a bat or bowl. The second game I was drafted to the opposition to make up the numbers and even out the competition in which I made a second ball duck (not a great start!) and took my first wicket. The 3rd game, played yesterday, went a bit better as I scored 49 not out and took another wicket. We have another week of trial games this weekend before the official season starts on May 5 which I can't wait to get into.
Bovey Tracey the township is rather small with a main street which has most of what I need, a gym and the cricket club. There are 3 larger towns within 10 to 15 minutes as well as Exeter, the capital of Devon which is the size of Adelaide CBD within half an hour. Torquay, the nearest beach city is only 3 quarters of an hour away which will hopefully come in handy when the weather starts to slowly warm up and the rain becomes a little more rare.
The job search is going slowly as the original pub work fell through. At this stage I might have work at a local adventure park about 15 minutes away which I understand to be similar to Greenhills adventure park where I might be working behind a bar or in a cafe. This is still yet to be confirmed.
All in all I've settled in well and as colts training and cricket gets into full swing I will hopefully have the chance to get into a routine making life a little bit easier.
Until next time,


Watch this space :)
Dillon

No comments:

Post a Comment