Tuesday 8 May 2012

Bovey Tracey 2



It's been two weeks since my last post and in that time there have been a couple of requests for another post to keep updated.
My last post ended after my 3rd trial game in the Bovey Tracey Pre-season. There were another two planned trial matches on the next weekend and the season proper to start the weekend after that (i.e last weekend). Unfortunately, preparation for the start of the season was interrupted significantly with rain, and not just a light drizzle. It poured for nearly a week non-stop leaving the pitch, square and outfield of Bovey Tracey recreational ground underwater and therefore unable to host our last two trial games. As a consequence of this rain there was also some localised flooding as was as broad cancellations of other sports across most of England. Luckily the weather started to fine up early last week and a pitch was able to be prepared for the first game of the season against Sandford. We won this game making 186 to their 123, a good win to start the season placing us at the top of the table after round 1. The second game, a friendly against a touring side, ended in a loss in the second last over.
My own performances in the first weekend of the season weren't fantastic with 20 runs and 1 for 21 off 8 overs. However, I am getting more and more confident the more time I spend actually playing cricket rather than just training in the lets. My progress has been good since arrival and I have no doubt this will continue with more cricket being played so no panic stations :)
Outside of cricket, colts training has begun where myself and the other international cricketer from New Zealand run a cricket session for 8 to 15 year olds on a friday night. This generally results in close to 100 kids rocking up for an hour and a half which was initially quite overwhelming but we are settling well into this role. Unfortunately, again the weather hasn't been kind enough to let my coaching of the Under 11 and Under 15 junior sides start yet but no doubt this will start in the near future.
On the work front, the job at the adventure park has fallen through but since then I have had a couple of job interviews for admin work in a GP's office as well as work in a department store so waiting anxiously to hear back from them. I have also set up my own one on one coaching program for kids around the club so hopefully that is up and running in no time.
I am starting to feel somewhat like a local with people seeing me around the streets of Bovey and talking to me about cricket or Australia or the weather which is nice. I am still having a lot of fun and settling nicely into a routine which has been made easier by the improving weather. All in all, I'm looking forward to what exciting things the season has in store.
In a week and a half Aaron and I will be reuniting in London to go and see the final of the darts at the O2 arena which no doubt will have an amazing atmosphere as well as visit Bath and a week long trip to Ireland with friends from Contiki. So look forward to hearing all about those in my next installment.
Until then,
Watch this space.
Dillon

No comments:

Post a Comment